Muslim Community Network creates safe space for young Muslims in New York City schools
New York, NY- What does it mean to be a young Muslim American in 2018? This is a question that the Muslim Community Network is on a mission to answer in schools throughout New York City.
The Muslim Community Network (MCN) has announced they are now offering two 90-minute cross-cultural presentations on what it means to be Muslim in America :
· Inclusive Learning: Your Muslim American Students (faculty and staff)
· Understanding Islam and the Muslim American Experience (students)
MCN has already scheduled over 13 presentations at New York City schools, with an expected audience of over 700 students and faculty.
“In today’s current political climate, we believe it is more important than ever to educate our neighbors on what it means to be Muslim in America,” said Christina Tasca, Executive Director of MCN. “It is our hope to facilitate respectful, educated, and inclusive discussions about the Muslim community and to eliminate stereotypes often perpetuated by the media. By helping students and faculty understand the diversity within the Muslim community, we will ultimately help our youth become the leaders of tomorrow.”
MCN was founded in 2003 by a group of Muslim community leaders, concerned citizens, and community advocates, who came together to counteract Islamophobia and challenges the Muslim-American community faced in the wake of September 11th, 2001. MCN is dedicated to using civic education and leadership development to shape the public narrative about what it means to be Muslim in America. Past diversity education workshops have included: Core Teachings of Islam, Women in Islam, Sunni-Shia Dialogues, and African-American Muslims in the History of the U.S.
- Arab Americans host online rally for Democratic candidates Sunday Oct. 25, 2020 - October 13, 2020
- Member of Iran’s Parliament in Exile Ali Safavi to guest on “The Ray Hanania Radio Show” - October 13, 2020
- Arab News Newspaper launches Research and Studies Unit - October 13, 2020