His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan to Meet with US President Barack Obama
United Arab Emirates Ambassador to the United States, H.E. Yousef Al Otaiba, today announced that His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, will meet with US President Barack Obama next Monday, April 20th, at the White House to discuss regional security and bilateral issues.
UAE Foreign Minister His Highness Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Deputy National Security Advisor His Highness Sheikh Tahnoon bin Zayed Al Nahyan will accompany Sheikh Mohamed on his visit to Washington, which will also include meetings with senior US administration officials and Congressional leaders.
The visit comes as the UAE and US work closely to maintain security and stability in the Middle East and collaborate on joint efforts to counter violent extremism.
The strong ties between the UAE and US are deeply rooted in shared interests and common values. Together, the two countries are working to promote regional security, create economic prosperity, and address pressing global challenges. For more information on the UAE-US bilateral relationship, please see www.UAEUSAUnited.com(link is external).
Background on the United Arab Emirates:
The United Arab Emirates and United States are close strategic allies and strong economic partners. This vibrant bilateral relationship connects communities and creates opportunities in both the UAE and US. Learn how our countries are United for a Better Future. #UAEUSA
The UAE is a source of stability, tolerance, innovation, and growth in the Arabian Gulf and around the globe. The UAE and United States are reliable allies, with shared security and economic interests:
- Enhancing stability and security in the Arabian Gulf and the broader Middle East
- Ensuring reliable energy supplies to world markets
- Encouraging global free trade and investment
- Confronting terrorism and extremism in the region and the world
Long Term Economic Partners
With one of the most open and innovative economies in the world, the UAE is a dependable and substantial economic partner with the United States.
- The UAE is the United States’ single largest export market in the Middle East, with more than $22 billion in exports in 2012 – the fourth straight year the UAE has held this distinction.
- US companies have played major roles in the development of UAE energy resources, which represent about 10 percent of global oil reserves.
- The UAE is the only oil producer in the Gulf to maintain private-sector participation in the oil industry.
- More than 1000 US firms have a presence in the UAE, from Bechtel and ExxonMobil to Starbucks and Cold Stone Creamery.
- UAE investment has been a dependable and long-term engine of growth for the US economy, injecting capital, expanding market access, creating jobs and contributing to mutual prosperity.
An Expanding Relationship
Relations between the UAE and the United States are growing, especially in the social and cultural sectors.
- US institutions, including New York University, Boston University and the Guggenheim Museum, are working closely with a range of educational and cultural organizations in the UAE, establishing a number of new institutions.
- In various ways, Johns Hopkins, the Cleveland Clinic and the Mayo Clinic are each contributing to the delivery of health care services and facilities in the UAE.
- In order to help Joplin, Missouri rebuild after a severe tornado devastated the town in 2011, the UAE provided significant grants to support the public school system and construction of a new pediatric healthcare wing at St. John’s Mercy Hospital.
- The UAE provided $100 million to the United States in the days following Hurricane Katrina.
Joint Diplomacy to Address Difficult Challenges
The UAE works constructively with a range of international entities to find peaceful solutions in the region.
- Alone and in concert with the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), the UAE has called for a nuclear weapon-free Gulf and has appealed directly to Iran on this issue.
- With the GCC, the UAE supports a peaceful, two-state resolution in Palestine.
- The UAE welcomes the commitment by the United States to ensure the territorial integrity of Iraq, and to deliver a successful, fair and inclusive political process that engages all Iraqi communities and guarantees the stability of the country.
Confronting Terrorism and Extremism
The UAE fights terrorism and extremism in the region and beyond. Cooperation with the United States includes a range of defense and intelligence initiatives.
- The UAE’s contributions to the fight against terrorism include combating extremist movements such as Al Qaeda, Hezbollah, Taliban and Al Shebaab.
- UAE Armed Forces work to improve security and stability alongside US and other coalition forces in Afghanistan. The UAE has provided $1.5 billion dollars over the last decade for rehabilitation and reconstruction programs.
- The UAE has contributed militarily and financially to a range of international stability initiatives.
- More US naval vessels visit UAE ports than any other port outside the United States.
- Significant shared law enforcement cooperation helps control illegal money flows and monitor sensitive shipments.
- In 2011, the United States and UAE announced that Abu Dhabi will be headquarters for the Global Centre for Excellence in Countering Violent Extremism, a new center that will focus on combating terror and radicalism.
For a more detailed description of the key areas of bilateral cooperation between the UAE and the United States, please click here.
- Cook County Treasurer Maria Pappas releases video in Arabic to help recover property tax overpayments - May 18, 2023
- Global: Amnesty International calls for universal social protection, as overlapping crises leave hundreds of millions facing disaster - May 10, 2023
- Menendez and Risch condemn Syria’s re-admission to Arab League - May 10, 2023