Chicago Census office to hire Arabic partner for Census
The U.S. Census through its Chicago Regional office is looking to hire an “Arabic partner” for the next two years as the agency begins preparations to conduct the 2020 Census.
Although the U.S. Government has rejected adding the category of “Arab” or “Middle East or North Africa” (MENA) to the Census long forms, the hiring suggests the issue remains on the table.
Although the hiring of one person for the spot won’t result in Arabs being fairly counter in the next Census, it means that the Census is keenly aware of the importance of the Arab community, which has been severely undercounted over the years.
Here is the posting:
The U.S. Census Bureau has job announcements posted for a bilingual Arabic Partnership Specialist; the links to the position are listed below. The posting for the Partnership Specialist closes October 9, 2018 by 11:59 PM ET. To review and apply now, open the job links below.
External Link – https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/512166300?#
Announcement number – RCC2020CHI-2018-0154
The job posting suggests similar positions may be available at other U.S. Census Regional Offices.
The Census defines the duties of the position as follows:
The individual selected for this position will:
- Plan, develop, and coordinate the partnership agreements to ensure activities all levels are carried out, resolves problems encountered, and determines the need for renegotiation.
- Addresses questions, concerns and issues related to current and potential partners and stakeholders.
- Establish partnership agreements with federal, state local, and tribal governments, and/or local businesses and community groups to develop specific strategies to eliminate enumeration barriers in specific regions in support of the Decennial Census.
- Develop presentations, give briefings, conduct meetings and promote partnerships with various governments, local businesses and community groups.
- Present information to audiences that predominately speak Arabic and translate and develop targeted informational and promotional materials from Arabic to English and English to Arabic when necessary.
50% or less – Position requires approximately occasional travel
- Palestine carries flag at Olympics along with other Arab nations - July 23, 2021
- The fate of Lifta portends the future of Ramallah and Bethlehem and more - July 14, 2021
- TPS extension for Yemeni Nationals: Good but not enough: - July 8, 2021